Sunday 29 April 2012

So shoot me...

I've always wondered why I like to read thick books - and the thicker the better. Ok. Seriously, I haven't actually ever wondered that, but I have known for years now that I'm attracted to the thickest books in the library (or the bookshop) - preferably from either the scifi or fantasy genres - and the prettier or the more dramatic the cover, the better. Actually, better yet, give me a SERIES of thick books... that just about makes my year, I tell you. But I've just discovered that there is a reason for this attraction, and no wonder! Since I got a Kindle for my birthday back in November, I've read a lot of books on it. I've actually been keeping a record of the books I've read so far this year, and it's a minimum of twenty-five books. Granted, that includes a few novellas and some short stories, but also some longer ones. So, which light bulb lit up this evening? It's quite a shock, really. You see, I've just finished reading a novel - and I now need to go and find another book to read! And you know what? I cannot STAND choosing books. Especially when there's a line-up of at least thirty books (but more like over seventy!) waiting to be read. And none of those are part of a series (or at least a series that is get-able. They're effectively all stand-alone books, and I don't have a clue where to start because, given the ability, I'd read all of them simultaneously. Please excuse me while I go and sob into my pillow and try to choose my next book....