Sunday 12 June 2011

"Excuse me, I'm going now ..."

I had a good giggle at work the other day. For those who don't know, I work on a farm. But not your ordinary farm. This farm is attached to a college, and we teach courses like horticulture and animal care on the campus.

So if I start talking about snakes, don't fall off your chairs - please! See, I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to snakes. I respect them, but please let me know where they are in the cage before you thrust me in front of the cage. So it's been quite interesting having two carpet pythons (called Thelma and Louise, I kid you not) staring at me whenever I walk into work over the last month or so. They were put into an enclosure in our entrance lobby, you see.

But that's the background. Here's the giggle. See, the one day, these two pythons were huddled together on a branch in their cage. It was rather difficult to determine which was which, and which part belonged to which. And then the thought ran through my mind: what would happen if one of them decided to de-huddle itself? If it moved off, would the other one collapse, dangling over the branches like a flung rope thinking "What the flip?"?

Or, as someone suggested to me, would it say "Excuse me, I'm going now ..."