Monday 31 January 2011

Total Exhilaration!

I remember the first time I fed city pigeons. I was at Donkin Reserve in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. And, being a teenager, the last thing I wanted to do was something embarrassing, such as feeding city pigeons.

However, curiosity overcame the self-conscious factor, and I entered the world of fascination. There can be nothing more humbling, or more rewarding, than offering food to, let's face it, a wild animal (or bird), and having it feed from your hand. If you haven't tried it, I can guarantee you'll never feel the same again if you do.

But nothing had prepared me for feeding bread to a mixture of city pigeons, ducks, gees and seagulls in St James's Park, London. A piece of bread here, a crumb there; but shortly I found myself flinging scraps of bread into the air to see if the seagulls would swoop and catch them before they landed on the ground ... and giggling like a little schoolgirl all the while. It was total exhilaration!

And for the record, I know that many people regard city pigeons as pests, but I personally regard them as God's creatures. Matthew 6:26 reads,

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.

Who am I to object if I assist in that task of feeding the birds of the air? And who am I to deny myself the rewards?