Sunday 19 September 2010

Who am I?

So where does this leave me?

You see, although I have had opportunities to choose what elements of my life should form my identity, there are simply too many options for me. I have too many interests, and almost everything in life has an attraction for me, in some form or other. I also find that I care too much about what other people think about me, and therefore, in a way, I guess, I try to please everybody and probably end up pleasing no-one - least of all myself.

There are, however, several aspects to me that would clearly work towards the building of an identity - I think.

I am definitely a people person. I have therefore always made space and time available in my life for friends and family. I have never been a person at ease with their own company - that is simply not me.

Over the last few years I have found that I enjoy writing. As a teenager this was a definite no - I occassionally journalled, but barely ever. Creative writing was a foreign language; I remember my Mom being amazed at my lack of an imagination, considering I always had my nose in some make-believe world.

I can be a perfectionist, and this is something that I struggle with, although it can also have its benefits. I am not a tidy person by nature, being rather careless. This has its limits though. The benefit is that I do proofreading, and paying attention to detail and being a perfectionist come in handy.

Oh dear me, this is starting to sound like a CV! So I think I'll shut up about now. I guess that I need to start considering these things that I have identified, accepting them as 'this is who I am and what I do', and establish how I can build my identity based on them.